Sunday, March 27, 2016

This doctor quit medicine. But she really tried to make it work.

shutterstock_218513146

It is exactly 49 steps from my bedroom to my garage.  It is a 23-mile drive to the hospital and 75 steps to the unit.  It takes 10 seconds to walk to the nursing station.  I can measure what it takes to get me to work each morning with absolute certainty.  I know because I have measured it a million times hoping something will prevent me from reaching my destination.  I live 49 steps, 23 miles, 10 seconds and another 75 steps from my job.  And it has taken me over a decade to find the courage to actually quit.

I was forty-three years old and five months into my new life when I realized I had to return to my old job.  Having served two stints as a psychiatrist at a very busy hospital, I was enjoying a lovely period I like to call “the second time I quit my job.”   The decision to leave my job the second time was less of a choice and more of a mandate; it came on the heels of an almost nervous breakdown when I was blasted with words like, “You’re just not strong enough.”

These words peppered me like bullets, and I believed them.  I decided I would leave immediately (or in six weeks when my boss could write me out of the call schedule), and I would do it without guilt.  But I would still work at least one weekend a month.  My nervous breakdown aside, we needed the money.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment