Monday, April 4, 2016

It’s time to instill a positive culture in medicine

shutterstock_218855317

This year marks 33 years of administrative positions in academic medicine.  When I first started, I suspect I made many major mistakes.  I learned through the time-tested school of hard knocks.  As I reflect on my own career, and those whom I have observed, I have come to believe the famous saying, “Culture eats strategy for breakfast.”

Look at ward attending physicians.  The same attendings have “good teams” every time they attend.  Their teams get the work done and thrive.  The learners learn and progress.  The same internal medicine attendings have a greater percentage of students choose internal medicine as their career.

These attendings create a positive learning culture.  They make work more pleasant because they have enthusiasm and respect for all the team members.  They want everyone to succeed and the take great pride in the team’s success.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment