Friday, April 29, 2016

“You can’t create an addict in the ER.” Yes, you can.

shutterstock_364107608

I have a lot of ER stories that involve drug addiction and drug seeking behavior. I knew a patient who intentionally dislocated his shoulder three times in one day to receive pain medication. Another had a friend who stole an entire dirty needle box in order to rummage through it for injectable drugs.

I have been told by patients that pain pills were eaten by dogs, stolen by neighbors, lost in car crashes, accidentally flushed down toilets and all the rest. People have pleaded with me because their normal doctor was out of the country. One individual (call him Bob) came to me and was denied narcotics, then returned two hours later with a woman’s ID and saying he was she (call her Carol).

“You aren’t Carol, I just saw you.”

“Yes I am, I’m Carol and I’m in pain.”

“Get out,” says I.

The list goes on and on and every physician has a few of his or her favorites.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment