Monday, April 18, 2016

What is food waste and how can we fix it?

shutterstock_385527124

I am about to place my plate in the sink, until I see a single pea left on my plate. I recall a recent article in National Geographic that stated that one-third of all the food we produce is wasted.

I have a Zen moment, and think of the journey the pea made to reach my plate. A farmer in California sowed the seeds six months earlier. A farm worker harvested the pea pod a month ago, a factory worker cleaned it and produced frozen packages. A truck driver hauled it to my grocery store; I purchased it and brought it home. My wife prepared it into a delicious Thai meal with curry sauce an hour ago, and my son served it on our plates. And now it was being wasted.

One of every three peas, one of every three glasses of milk, one of every three pieces of bread does not make it to the market, the plate or the mouth. It is wasted.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment