Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Meals for new parents is food for the soul

shutterstock_234673435

When I had my first baby, one of my friends coordinated a meal train where coworkers could sign up to bring our new family a dinner every other night. Those first few weeks of motherhood were such a chaotic blur that I do not even remember how many weeks this meal delivery went on for except to say that it was both long enough and over too quickly. There was an awkwardness in accepting such gifts every other night that made me grateful when it was over, but they were so generous, and delicious, that I also wished they would never stop.

While I delete almost all of the old text messages on my phone (obviously to make room for more pictures of my children), there are two that I have saved for the past five years. One of those text threads is from a co-resident who texted me from the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) to coordinate a time to drop off my dinner. Afterwards, he followed up with this text: “Just carved my bird and the thighs a little undercooked despite pop up timer. If yours is same sorry. Just bake thighs and legs in Pyrex at 350 degrees for 20 or 30 min when u want to eat them. Enjoy.”

There are three reasons why I love this text so much that I saved it for five years.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment