Monday, April 11, 2016

Inpatient vs. observation: We have created a monster of our own making

shutterstock_125077214

A few weeks ago I wrote a piece about my hero patient, a World War II veteran who landed on Normandy beach, and how he had been left in a difficult position by the whole observation versus inpatient situation while he was hospitalized.

My intention was to draw attention to these types of scenarios and how they cause intense anxiety and concern to our elderly. It’s a horrible and unacceptable situation when this happens. While I can’t obviously divulge the individual details of the case or make any claim to be an expert on the pyramid of rules and regulations (nor do I ever intend to become an expert on this either), all I can do is write about the essential truths of any given situation as I see them in my capacity as a frontline doctor.

I received significant correspondence after writing the article, which I was very appreciative of. It’s always good to stimulate debate on important topics that affect so many people. I wanted to address a few of the many questions and opinions I received.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment