Tuesday, April 19, 2016

How to destroy a great ER: A step by step guide

shutterstock_340301054

I took a fantastic emergency medicine (EM) job when I finished residency.  There was no question in my mind that it was the best job within a hundred mile radius, maybe more.  When I first started, my expectations were met.  My group held a contract to staff a busy but well-staffed suburban emergency department, and had held that contract for almost 20 years when I signed.  The hospital was independent, locally administrated, and not part of a mega healthcare system.  Its atmosphere was collegial and clinician-friendly.

The ER was well-staffed with all-star nurses and techs with experience.  Everyone who worked in the hospital wanted to get a job in the ER.  There were three nurses per nine-bed zone with a float nurse (gasp!) in each zone.  Sure there were snags and busy days, but it ran about as efficiently as an ER could.  The patients were well-cared for and generally pleased.

About a year after I took this job, a large regional health care system bought our hospital.  It was called a merger, but we all knew otherwise.  We took their name, adopted their colors and logos, and began answering to administrators who worked 40 miles away and didn’t know us.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment