Thursday, April 7, 2016

American health care has a customer service problem

shutterstock_252172474

No, customer service in the U.S. is terrible when it comes to health care.  No, the customer service in the U.S. health care system is horrendous.  No, health care has the worst customer service of any industry in the U.S.

There.  That seems about right.

What makes me utter such a bold statement?  Experience.  I regularly hear the following from people when they come to my practice:

  • “You are the first doctor who has listened to me.”
  • “This office makes me feel comfortable.”
  • “I didn’t have to wait!”
  • “Where’s all the paperwork?”
  • “Your office staff is so helpful. They really care about my needs.”
  • “This is the first time I’ve been happy to come to the doctor.”
  • “It’s amazing to have a doctor who cares about how much things cost.”
  • “You explain things to me.”
  • “You actually return my calls.”

Each of these things is said as a sincere compliment, with a degree of wonder in their voices.  People simply are not used to getting any customer service.  By these compliments, I must assume that the majority of people’s experience with a physician’s practice is:

  • They do not feel listened to by their doctor.
  • Doctors offices are uncomfortable.
  • Visits usually involve long waits and extensive (and pointless) paperwork.
  • Office staffs are usually unhelpful and don’t act like they care about people’s needs.
  • People are never happy to go to the doctor’s office.
  • Doctors seldom pay attention to the cost of the care they give.
  • “Care” from doctors is often poorly explained, and so patients often leave confused.
  • Attempts at communication are seldom fruitful.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment