Saturday, April 2, 2016

A medical student’s accidental internship in empathy

shutterstock_185860817

My “aha” moment wouldn’t come at the signing of my leave of absence contract. Nor would it awaken me at night with the chair-gripping dizziness I had come to expect.

When the vertigo started in early December during my third block of clerkship, I chalked the symptoms up to stress.

Over the December break, I met with my family doctor and casually recounted my symptoms. The vertigo had worsened, and seemed questionably sound-induced. The quiet noises became louder. The louder noises became unbearable. And the loudest noises set off nystagmus.

Handing me a pile of differentials and a wealth of associated requisites, what she didn’t account for was the weight of what I was being handed.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment