Thursday, March 3, 2016

A doctor who forgot the basics they teach you in medical school

shutterstock_59788054

I was spending time with friends and family over the holiday when I started to experience various vague symptoms without an obvious etiology. Having been treated for high blood pressure about ten years prior before successfully overcoming the issue with exercise, I immediately recognized the return of the condition. (As an aside, it should be stated that elevated blood pressure typically produces no symptoms at all.)

Stopping by my local pharmacy, I silently accepted reality as the cuff from the blood pressure machine eased off of my arm reading a disturbing 165/100. I was going to need medicine again, at least until I can reorganize my lifestyle. While I will be the first to admit that I could lose a few pounds, the floundering job market for radiologists, coupled with living in an unfamiliar city, seemed to be taking its toll on my health.

The casual reader may wonder how a doctor chooses a doctor. In my case, I simply picked a clinic associated with a hospital I’d prefer to be admitted to and asked for a doctor with the soonest opening. The doctor I was assigned turned out to be a fellow of the American College of Physicians with over 20 years of experience and was a former teacher of residents in addition to being married to a radiologist. When I walked into the exam room, I also learned that he was a fitness buff of sorts, as his wall was decorated with various photos of marathon completions and certificates.

Continue reading ...

Your patients are rating you online: How to respond. Manage your online reputation: A social media guide. Find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment